Oh, my gosh, we’ve been busy here at Norton Buffalo Hall! Two weeks after our 2 night Hall Dedication celebration with Roy Rodgers, Carlos Reyes and Friends, we hosted a House Concert with Chuck Brodsky. This was the 3rd time Chuck has been with us, to the delight of his fans in our community. Chuck writes the kind of heart revealing, honest, touching songs that leaves you feeling like you’re getting to know him a little bit. So it’s a surprise when his introduction to a song about his long-time female traveling companion, Emily, isn’t very complimentary. I had heard him sing it before and it’s one of my favorites so I was prepared to watch the audience’s reaction. Audience and artist share a laugh as the joke is revealed. Give it a listen - look for “My British Emily” on Chuck’s website: Chuckbrodsky.com or on YouTube. We hope to have Chuck back in the future so you’ll have another chance to see him in person.
So, out of the frying pan, into the fire - we jumped right back in with another House Concert on February 4 with Halie Loren, a young internationally acclaimed jazz singer, accompanied by her pianist Matt Treder, (the first performer to play our new-to-us baby grand piano), local drummer Steve Smith and our own Guilds member Brian Marshall on stand up base. The performance was top drawer, as Eddie Haskell would say - whether covering classic jazz and pop standards or her own originals, the crowd at the Buff loved her and if you missed it, be sure to catch her next time!
Next up - Simon Lynge on February 24. Some of you may have been to one of our previous presentations with Simon and his wife, Janna Merritt, and watched with us as his family has grown thru the years. This time he’ll be here on his own and we’re looking forward to enjoying his performance as experienced by those who see him on tour. Simon is a Norton Buffalo Hall favorite - check out his music at simonlyngemusic.com and then read his bio on wikipedia. Tickets available in advance at EventBrite.com Hope to see y’all at the Buff on February 24th!
Welcome to the Paradise Community Guilds Events blog! This is the place where you’ll find out about our upcoming events and concerts as well as post your comments about events you’ve attended at the Norton Buffalo Hall (or “the Buff” as we affectionately call it).
Well, after several months of planning, our Norton Buffalo Hall Chamber of Commerce Ribbon Cutting and Hall Dedication, along with 2 nights of Dedication Concerts, has come and gone. If you were there for either or both evenings, I bet you, like all of us here at the Buff, are still looking at each other in amazement and awe. The speakers shared wonderful stories and memories of their time with Norton. The music by Roy Rodgers, Carlos Reyes and Friends was the outstanding, up-lifting and get-out-of-your-seats-and-dance kind. We celebrated a truly unique and inspiring musician and beloved friend to our community. He is missed, but well-remembered and will continue to influence us and the work we are doing at the Norton Buffalo Hall.
This event was our first experience with selling out the house in a few short hours, and then adding a show to accommodate some of those who didn’t get tickets for the first night. If you’ve attended any of our past 490 Cabaret’s you know the caliber of talent we showcase at The Buff. If you are a new fan, please come back often to see what new events are in the works.
Up next is a House Concert with one of my very favorite performers, Chuck Brodsky. I hear his music nearly every day played on the music venues I stream at work, as well as at home on local KZFR and KCHO programs. You can get tickets in advance by going to EventBrite.com and searching Norton Buffalo Hall. Tickets for most events will also be available at the door, but to make sure you don’t miss out you might want to buy yours in advance. And if you are unfamiliar with any of the performers we schedule, I encourage you to check them out on You Tube. You’ll be glad you did.
See you at The Buff!
We’ve kicked off 2017 with a full quarter of events you won’t want to miss!
• 1/12 – Norton Buffalo Hall Dedication and Celebration – We’ll host a ribbon cutting from 5:30 – 6:30PM with Chamber of Commerce. The public is invited to attend that hour. We’ll have displays commemorating Norton Buffalo, along with info about the work of Paradise Community Guilds, Then at 7PM, ticket holders will enjoy a celebratory concert with Norton’s music chums, Roy Rogers, Carlos Reyes & Friends! Tickets for this event have SOLD OUT!
• 1/13 – Norton Buffalo Hall Celebration II – Our celebration continues with a concert by Carlos Reyes & Friends. Tickets for this event have also SOLD OUT!
• 1/26 – Chuck Brodsky – 7PM. He’s a chart-topper on folk radio and has 18 songs in the Baseball Hall of Fame. This is Chuck’s third performance at our hall.
• 2/4 – Halie Loren – 7PM. A jazz chanteuse at the top of the Billboard Jazz Charts in Japan, and a big following in the U.S.
• 2/24 – Simon Lynge – 7PM. Greenland’s favorite musical son. Uplifting folk-pop at its best!
• 3/31 – Martin Gerschwitz – 7PM. He’s played with Iron Butterfly, Eric Burdon & The Animals, Bon Jovi and other legends.
Check out our Concerts page for more info.
Tickets for these events are available at eventbrite.com.
We hope you’ll come out to join us for the fun!